Tuesday, August 23, 2011

In the words of one man while pointing at a woman, "Me man, you cook."

I like to cook, and I like to eat—not necessarily in that order. And I did not necessarily learn it from my mother, either. Growing up, I have had many people provide meals for me, and they have not all been women. While visiting my Dad and Mimi and Pawpaw for whole summers in my childhood, my Pawpaw did most of the cooking for our family mealtimes. The recipes have come to be known as “Pawpaw’s”—“Pawpaw’s pork chops and gravy,” “Pawpaw’s candied yams,” or “Pawpaw’s chocolate Texas cake.” Mimi can also cook though—she makes some mean steamed broccoli—but the kitchen is well known as Pawpaw’s territory. It is interesting that I most clearly associate homemade meals with my Pawpaw, a man, when Marjorie L. DeVault points out in her chapter on “Feeding as ‘Women’s Work’” that the responsibility of providing meals for others is typically a woman’s job. DeVault notes that “women are recruited into the work of care,” specifically in regards to cooking for and feeding their families, by social expectations that organize the proper labor divide for each gender in the household (96). And although there are obvious exceptions, such as my Pawpaw, I tend to agree that cooking and feeding are tasks typically allocated to women because, in the words of some of DeVault’s subjects, “someone has to do it” (109).
This typical responsibility of women, however, does not have to be such a shouldered burden or an unhappy obligation. One thing DeVault does not acknowledge is the opportunity for control and creative expression that is to be found in cooking. In this day and age when it is so easy and convenient to buy a ninety-nine cents hamburger flipped by a teenager or a frozen bag of T.G.I. Friday’s loaded potato skins from the Wal-mart freezer, it is exciting and ego-boosting to know that I have cooked a meal with my own hands, have made it taste the way I want it to, and have arranged it on the plate the way I like it. Usually when my boyfriend and I are together, I do the cooking, mainly because I like to cook, experiment with new recipes, and present something to him to have him say, “Wow! This corn on the cob is perfect!” It is a matter of pride to have my cooking creation praised and liked—not just by my boyfriend, but anyone (he just tends to be around for most of my experiments and creations). And of course, I cook a lot for him to show him I care about him. DeVault points out the “strong association between ‘mothering’ and the preparation of food” as the foundation for the notion of showing how much a woman cares about others by cooking and serving food to them (104). The practice of mothering that is unique to women (even if they are not mothers yet) becomes a vehicle through which a woman expresses her caring for her children by providing them with cooked food. However, I think this notion is only an offshoot of the overarching expectation of society-instituted gender roles; a woman cooks and provides meals for her children, husband, boyfriend, etc. because it signifies her as “recognizably womanly” (118).
Although cooking and feeding may “seem like [a] ‘natural’ expression of [my] gender,” I refuse to feel obligated to cook and feed anyone just because society tells me it is my “job” or “duty” (118). I like to cook, not because I am expected to, but because I like to control what food I put into my body and because I like to experiment and be creative with food. I will cook because I enjoy it, but I do not have to cook. And it does not make me any less “womanly.” If that were the case, my boyfriend can cook the meal, and I will uncork the wine and watch.

DeVault, Marjorie L. Feeding the Family: The Social Organization of Caring as Gendered Work. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1991. 95-119.

3 comments:

  1. How did you read your Pawpaw's role in the kitchen -- as one of enjoyment and maintaining control over what the family ate, or as a duty? I find it interesting that the recipes become a sort of good that your Pawpaw owns, with pride. Were there ever any penalties for Mimi in regards to what you suggest about the work of feeding standing in as a "recognizably womanly" duty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you have written because I am the exact opposite of you when it comes to cooking. I have always wondered why people (especially women) like to cook because it has been seen as oppressive for centuries. I am intrigued about how you are able to embrace this so-called "women's work" and make it empowering. Also, if you feel pressured, you can easily say, "No, do it yourself"-- and I admire that! This is very inspiring to me and I commend you on your choice to stand proud as a feminist who likes to cook. Maybe I'll put down the 99 cent hamburgers and Walmart freezer foods to get my hands into some real home-cooked food. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. RESPONSE #3 AMANDA GARY THINKS......

    Lindsay… I loved the stories about your Pawpaw they give such a realistic feeling to your writing! Spending the whole summer(s) with your family sounds like a wonderful experience, I only wish that I could have done the same with my grandmother. Associating “homemade” with your Pawpaw is really awesome. My dad packed my lunch every day for school from kindergarten till the last day of my senior year… so I completely understand where your association stems from. I agree with you, that Devault neglects to take in to consideration that there are other family situations other than the ones she examined. I think that her research would benefit greatly from reexamining her parameters for subjects and their family situations. As you mentioned, you enjoy cooking and the praise that comes from your creativity and I’m more than sure that Devault never even considered that aspect? Caring and feeding for others as a “stigmatized gendered responsibility” is one thing, but feeding others because you truly enjoy it is another! I, as you, enjoy cooking greatly and I certainly didn’t learn it from my mom nor did I feel any social push to do it! Keep on Cooking!

    ReplyDelete